Saturday, March 14, 2009

Starting All Over Again

So I'm going through a divorce. Not what I wanted, not anything I really even saw coming, but there it is. Bottom line, nobody is really at fault, we've just sort of drifted apart the last few years, I guess more than I noticed.

The first week or so I would have given anything to stop this, but after thinking about it, I think we'll both be a lot happier after a while, we just have to go through some bad stuff right now.

In fact, sometimes I'm pretty happy and excited to start a new life, then I'll start freaking out. How the hell do I act now that I'm single? I wasn't that good at dating in my 20s, and mostly got lucky because everyone was drunk all the time. Do I even know any single people anymore? Am I going to have to buy a corvette? Am I going to be the creepy old guy hitting on girls and getting laughed at? Are there really women out there that will listen to my stories and learned opinions on stuff like Dolemite and Naked Raygun? Do you think they'd still want to do it with me? These are just a few of the questions that keep me up at night.

2 comments:

Alonzo Mosley (FBI) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Scott. I guess this beats the unfortunate news I was handed last week (you'll be hearing about that soon).

Unknown said...

Condolences on getting divorced, even when amicable, it does bite the weenie.
yes, it gets better. And dating is easier than it was in our twenties. You can see the 35-40 y/o women running the checklist on you: Teeth, check. Job, check. No felony convictions, check. Charming mf who can bring the funny, bonus.
Next thing you know you're dating a woman that you would at first blush assume to be way above your paygrade. And total lack of game isn't a liability, 'cause she'll do all the work, practically club you and drag you back to her cave. There's a very slim chance she'll dig Naked Raygun, but that's not necessarily the end of the world.